Monday, August 28, 2017


Queens Man Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Fatally Stabbing
Teen during Pizzeria Brawl in Brooklyn

Defendant Stabbed Victim in the Heart With a Knife

Acting Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez today announced that a 23-year-old Queens man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to first-degree manslaughter in the November 2014 fatal stabbing of a teenager at a Domino’s Pizza restaurant in East New York.

Acting District Attorney Gonzalez said, “Through his violent actions, this defendant didn’t only kill a teenager, but also destroyed the hopes and dreams his family had for their loved one. This was a senseless, violent and deadly assault, for which the defendant will now spend many years in prison.”

The Acting District Attorney identified the defendant as Juan Rosa, 23, of Jamaica, Queens. He was sentenced today to 20 years in prison by Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Neil Firetog. The defendant pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter on July 18, 2017. His co-defendant, Michael Gibbs, 28, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter on June 30, 2017. Gibbs was sentenced to 13 years in prison on July 14, 2017.

The Acting District Attorney said that, according to the investigation, on November 11, 2014, at approximately 9:40 p.m., the defendant and four men entered the Domino’s Pizza restaurant located at 2196 Pitkin Avenue in East New York. Rosa, Gibbs, and three others kicked and punched 18-year-old Dashawn Cameron, who was inside the pizzeria. As the men beat Cameron, Rosa stabbed the victim with a knife.

Rosa was seen on surveillance video with a knife, according to the investigation, and later admitted to stabbing Cameron. Cameron died from his injuries at Brookdale University Hospital. Two of the men have yet to be apprehended. A third defendant, Rakiem Smith, 24, pleaded guilty to assault and perjury, and was sentenced to one year in jail.

The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant District Attorney Emily Dean, of the District Attorney’s Homicide Bureau, under the supervision of Assistant District Attorney Timothy Gough, Bureau Chief.