East New York Man Convicted of Kidnapping and Other Charges for Imprisonment of Girlfriend and Her Baby

Tuesday, May 12, 2015


East New York Man Convicted of Kidnapping and Other Charges for Imprisonment of Girlfriend and Her Baby

Victims Bound, Beaten and Starved Over Five Months; Defendant Faces 50 Years to Life

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson today announced that a 36-year-old East New York man has been convicted of kidnapping and beating his girlfriend and her two-year-old daughter over five months. During that time he repeatedly sexually abused the woman and threatened to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. The victims were rescued after a neighbor called 911 to report a disturbance.

District Attorney Thompson said, “This mother and child are lucky to be alive after the abuse they suffered at the hands of this defendant. This violent predator has now been held accountable. He faces 50 years to life when he is sentenced and deserves every day of it.”

The District Attorney identified the defendant as Yohannes Anglin, 36, of East New York, Brooklyn. He was convicted of  two counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment, following a jury trial before Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice John Ingram. The defendant will be sentenced on June 1, 2015, at which time he faces up to 50 years to life in prison.

The District Attorney said that, according to trial testimony, between January 6, 2012 and May 29, 2012, the defendant, on a daily basis, bound the hands and feet of his 27-year-old girlfriend and her two-year-old daughter with duct tape to prevent them from leaving their apartment and threatened to kill them if they tried to escape.

Further testimony showed that the defendant repeatedly sexually abused and strangled the woman and burned her with lit cigarettes. The woman and child were also beaten and starved; the child was forced to wear dirty diapers.

The victims were rescued by police, according to trial testimony, after they were called by a neighbor who reported a disturbance. The woman was hospitalized and treated for a broken jaw and finger, as well as cuts and cigarette burns all over her body. The child was treated for malnourishment, infections to the buttocks, and old and new bruises all over her body. 

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Brooke Cohen of the District Attorney’s Domestic Violence Bureau and Assistant District Attorney Audra Beerman, Deputy  Bureau Chief under the supervision of Assistant District Attorney Michelle Kaminsky, Bureau Chief.