FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

 

Brooklyn Man Sentenced to 40 Years to Life in Prison for
Murder of Two Men

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson today announced that a 61-year-old man has been sentenced on two counts of second-degree murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon for the 2013 shooting death of two men outside a home in East New York.

District Attorney Thompson said, “This defendant shot and killed two men in an act of senseless gun violence. Today’s sentence holds this defendant accountable for his deadly violent actions.”

The District Attorney identified the defendant as Raul Correa, 61, of East New York, Brooklyn. The defendant was sentenced today by Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Neil Firetog to 40 years to life in prison. He was convicted on November 12, 2015 of two counts of second-degree murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon following a jury trial.

The District Attorney said that, according to trial testimony, on October 18, 2013 at approximately 8:30 p.m., outside of a home located at 202 Pennsylvania Avenue, in East New York, the defendant fired shots at the victims, striking and killing both men.  The shooting was in retaliation for an assault earlier that evening, according to testimony. The victims were not involved in the earlier assault.

The case was investigated by Detective Brian Champion of the New York City Police Department’s 75th Precinct Detective Squad and Detective Richard Amato of the Brooklyn North Homicide Squad.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Emily Dean of the District Attorney’s Homicide Bureau, under the supervision of Assistant District Attorney Kenneth Taub, Bureau Chief.

#