Brooklyn District Attorney Launches
“Brooklyn DA Summer Internship” Program
The Brooklyn DA Summer Internship program is a joint partnership between the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office and the United Federation of Teachers. This program provides a uniquely competitive opportunity for high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors attending school and/or residing in Brooklyn. We are currently accepting applications from students who meet the below eligibility criteria and show a strong interest in the criminal justice/public interest sector. Interns will receive a $150 weekly stipend and will be provided with Metro Cards. Selected interns will be assigned to a unit and will support the work of Assistant District Attorneys and other staff.
- Assist with legal research and analysis utilizing various sources such as the Internet, news articles, and legal periodicals.
- Provide assistance to attorneys and staff at various phases of a matter including pretrial, conference, and/or trial.
- Perform a variety of paralegal and/or clerical functions, as required.
- Assist attorneys with case preparation, discovery, file maintenance, and organization of court documents.
- Participate in workshops pertinent to different departments and trial zones.
- Participate in judicial, legal, and law enforcement observational field trips.
- Observe criminal trials and defendants get sentenced in court.
- Applicants must reside in or attend school in Brooklyn.
- Applicants must be either a high school sophomore, junior, or rising senior.
- Applicants must be able to commit to the entire duration of the program (July 11, 2016 to August 12, 2016, Monday through Thursday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM).
- Most recent transcripts.
- Updated one-page resume.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation and evaluation forms including one from a teacher, coach, mentor, etc.
- 300 word essay which must be typed (12 pt. font/double-spaced) and addresses the following two prompts:
- Why are you interested in interning with the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office?
- What impact do you think it will have on your future endeavors both personally and professionally?
Please note: This is a highly selective internship. Only 10 spots are available and selected candidates will be required to interview.
Completed documents should be emailed to the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office at email@example.com in pdf format, with the subject line: “Brooklyn DA Summer Internship Program”, no later than May 20, 2016.
Contact Felicia Harris, 718-250-4873