Four Gang Members Sentenced to 25 Years to Life in Prison for Attacking Two Bedford-Stuyvesant Brothers, Killing One

Tuesday, April 18, 2017


Four Gang Members Sentenced to 25 Years to Life in Prison for
Attacking Two Bedford-Stuyvesant Brothers, Killing One

Stabbed and Robbed Victims, Who Were Coming Home from Work

Acting Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez today announced that four known gang members have each been sentenced to 25 years to life in prison following their conviction on charges of robbery and murder. The defendants fatally stabbed a 23-year-old man and injured his brother while the victims were returning home from work in the early morning hours.

Acting District Attorney Gonzalez said, “These defendants – who robbed and stabbed two innocent brothers, killing one of them – are clearly a danger to society and should be incarcerated. The long prison sentences imposed today ensure just that and hopefully bring some small measure of closure to the victims’ family.”

The Acting District Attorney identified the defendants as Carmello Bello, 28, and Miguel Bello, 34, of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Javier Ortiz, 35, and Martin Carillo, 36 of Sunset Park, Brooklyn. All four defendants were convicted last month of second-degree murder and first-degree robbery (some were convicted of related, lesser offenses) following a jury trial before Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Laporte.

Each of the defendants was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.

The Acting District Attorney said that, according to trial testimony, on September 7, 2014, at approximately 1:50 a.m., on Myrtle Avenue between Marcy and Tompkins Avenues in Bedford Stuyvesant, the defendants approached and demanded money from the victims, Juan Carlos Luna-Juarez, 23, and his 27-year-old brother as they returned home from work.

When the victims did not comply, the defendants, acting together, repeatedly punched, kicked, and stabbed the two victims. The defendants then stole a bike and backpack, according to trial testimony. During the attack, Juan Juarez was stabbed approximately 10 times and died as the result of a puncture wound to the heart. His brother suffered stab wounds to his leg and back and survived the injuries.

The defendants, all members of the Ninos Malos gang, were apprehended near the crime scene shortly after the attack. When they were arrested, two defendants had blood on their clothing, which was later determined to belong to the victims, and officers found a knife in the pocket of one defendant. Two additional knives were recovered from the crime scene. Defendant Miguel Bello subsequently admitted to being at the crime scene and stabbing someone, the evidence showed.

The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant District Attorneys Yaniris Urraca and Leila Rosini, of the District Attorney’s Violent Criminal Enterprises Bureau, under the supervision of Assistant District Attorney Nicole Chavis, Bureau Chief, and the overall supervision of Assistant District Attorney Patricia McNeill, Deputy Chief of the District Attorney’s Investigations Division.